6.30.2011

"What food can I eat"

insert whiney voice from my daughter.  And I respond with, "we would know more, but since the sneaking of food hasn't stopped, we have to start over again and again."  And then she stomps to her room and says "I HATE THIS DIET!" 

Yeah, so do I. 

Probably the majority of this blog could be commentary for hate, hate, hate, hate.  It is rather depressing, eh?  I agree.  And given my mood as of late, I am wallowing in it too.  I am sick and tired of telling my daughter no, no, no, no to everything she asks to eat. 

Some of the things she has been able to tolerate thus far - or I am fairly positive are okay:

gluten free bread or sourdough bread
Rice (which she gags on so she refuses to eat it)
Potatoes ( I usually cut these up, mix in olive oil, and bake them for her; she refuses mashed tators)
fruity pebbles (amazing, huh - but I find that most of the ladies on a support board can tolerate it as well)
Rice chex (which we have on hand as I also have my son who has Celiac)
eggs (I have taken to making an egg on a sourdough muffin [orowheat] and she eats this)
frozen blueberries (they are grubbin right out of the freezer; eaten in moderation)
small amounts of koolaid made with cane sugar
strawberries (again in moderation)
cheese (check the ingredients - this goes on the muffin too)
milk
french toast made with gf bread or sourdough bread
lunch meat (check the ingredients; meat with no bbq sauce or plain (i.e. steak, hamburger, pork chops, ribs - we get organic meat from my father-in-law's farm)
plain chips
rice pasta - Tinkyada has one
Annie's Gluten Free Rice Pasta Mac n Cheese
She will have nachos with chips and cheese only

All sugar substitutes are a no-go for her and cause her rash to explode in irritation. 

speaking of rash, I had to take her in to the clinic for asthma meds and her rash was mentioned.  The doctor (who she has never seen) was adament that it was NOT a yeast rash.  Sigh.  I will try and do some more research and see if I can print of stuff to take to her regular GI doc and pray he can find some more answers.  Someone else mentioned milk protein - I am wondering if there is a way to test for that as well and see if that is bothersome to her.  Not sure on that one. 

Anyways, I hope this list will help anyone else not sure where to begin.  I am over a year into this and still don't know where to begin and continue to walk the path in dazed confusion. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Having other health issues, and having the same feelings you guys are having.

I HATE THIS DIET!

It's hard. Much harder than the gluten free diet. It's so much easier to know, just don't eat this _____. It's much harder to hear...well you can eat a little of this, but not if you eat some of this on the same day, and you might can eat that.....
what a pain in the butt!

I think I'm going to order the booklet from Monash University soon. When I get it, I'll share the info with you. Maybe it'll help a little. Supposed to have the most up to date information.

Good luck! Tell your daughter, she's not alone. I'm sure that everyone who has to be on this diet is just like us! I bet they all HATE it.

This is so very hard on me as an adult, I can't imagine how much harder it is on a child.

I don't know if you have ever been to this board before, it's mainly for people with HFI, but they have some great information with helping children with this, and good recipes. http://hfiinfo.proboards.com/
hope it helps a little.

wendy